Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Dew Breaker

I agree with the other post regarding this book; it does not allow you to get bored as each chapter you are reading from another person's perspective and you are constantly trying to discover how and where that character's story falls in this complicated web where everyone is connnected in one way or another. I am not sure how I feel yet about the father. He seems to be truly sorry for all that he did in his past and that made me want to forgive him a little. But I think that was just because we had not heard yet of any of the stories of the people who were killed or affected by who he was. Later on in the chapter "Night Talkers," I began to feel a little differently about the father after hearing one of the stories of what he did and how he killed Dany's parents. I kind of feel like the internal pain he is constantly suffering is punishment and the fact that he let down his daughter who never thought he ever would do things like that are all probably worse pains than being in prison.
It's so true though about how a lot of kids never really know who their parents were before they were parents. Not that a lot of people's parents killed people, but it is just interesting when you grow up and finally hear stories about your parents of the life they had and the people they were before having kids, you almost don't recognize them. I know that has happened to me in the past couple years with my parents and of hearing their stories.

1 comment:

  1. I agree about Ka's father. It seems like he escaped his past by not killing more people and moved to new country but just like her mother, her father's past effects his daughter's life, too. He lives constantly in the past and he doesn't want to move on. This has an effect now on Ka when she tries to sell her sculpture and he throws it away instead of not letting her do it. She is not only shocked about her father's past, but also humilated in front of her client. He makes the people around him suffer, even if he doesn't want to anymore. Now it's the opposite, when he suffers the most for his past.

    ReplyDelete